Servings: 4 Prep 20 mins Cook 16 mins
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon bottled oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder OR: 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 large bunches baby carrots OR: 2 bunches regular carrots (about 1 3/4 pounds), trimmed, peeled, halved lengthwise, then halved crosswise OR: 3 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- Cooked white rice (optional)
Make It Sauce:
1. Mix broth, soy sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, cornstarch, ginger, five-spice powder, sugar and red-pepper flakes in small bowl. Stir-Fry:
2. Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add carrots; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. If using broccoli, see Note below. Add beef, garlic, salt, black pepper; stir-fry, until beef is no longer pink, 5 minutes. Add sweet red pepper and scallion; stir-fry until softened, 3 minutes.
3. Rewhisk sauce; add to skillet; cook until thickened, 3 minutes. Serve with cooked hot rice, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 324, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 77, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 27, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 30, sodium (mg): 1252, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.