Servings: 12 Prep 20 mins Cook 7 hrs 30 mins
- 1 package (2.4 ounces) beef stew (goulash) mix OR 2 packages (1.5 ounces each) beef stew seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon bottle horseradish
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
1. Stir beef stew mix, water, horseradish and onion in 5-quart slow-cooker or large, deep pot. Add brisket (slicing in half to fit, if necessary). For slow cooker, cover; cook on high for 7-1/2 hours, turning meat once, if possible. For pot, simmer on stovetop, 4 hours.
2. Remove meat from cooking liquid to cutting board. Cool slightly.
3. Strain cooking liquid into bowl; discard solids. Skim fat off top and discard. Pour liquid into saucepan. Stir in salt and pepper.
4. Whisk flour, cold water in measuring cup until smooth. Bring liquid in saucepan to simmering over medium heat. Pour in flour mixture in thin stream, whisking; simmer, whisking, 3 minutes, until thickened (makes 6 cups.)
5. Trim meat. Divide in half, if cooked in one piece.
Storage To freeze for sandwiches and Stroganoff:
- Slice half of brisket across grain into thin slices, for sandwiches. Cut other half into 3/4-inch chunks, for Stroganoff. Let gravy cool slightly. Combine sliced meat with 1 cup gravy in freezer container or heavy-duty freezer bag. Combine beef chunks with remaining gravy in second freezer container or freezer bag. Seal and label. Refrigerate until completely cooled. Freeze.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 272, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 91, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 6, fiber (g): , pro. (g): 30, sodium (mg): 449, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.