Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 pound lean beef chuck for stew, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 pound turkey sausage, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped, seeded, pickled jalapeno peppers
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Working in batches, add beef and sausage; saute until browned. Remove beef and sausage to plate.
2. Add onion, green pepper and garlic to drippings in pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling. Return beef and sausage to pot. Cover; simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in potatoes; cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Whisk flour and remaining 2 tablespoons water in small bowl until smooth. Stir into pot; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. To serve, ladle stew into bowls. Top each serving with cheese and jalapeno, dividing equally.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 360, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 89, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 48, pro. (g): 23, sodium (mg): 687, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.