- 1 pound lean beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1/2 package (16 ounces) frozen small whole onions (1-3/4 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large skillet, brown stew meat in hot oil over medium-high heat. Then transfer to your 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except the parsley.
2. Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours or on high for 4-1/2 to 5 hours- whichever you find more convenient. If you want the broth to be a little thinner, stir in 1/4 cup of water at a time until it reaches the consistency you like. Spoon the stew into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 184, Fat, total (g): 4, carb. (g): 20, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 17, sodium (mg): 283, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.