Servings: 4 Prep 10 mins Cook 16 mins
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled, trimmed, halved and slices
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon each ground ginger and cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large, lidded nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
2. Crumble in ground beef. Increase heat to medium-high and cook 5 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
3. In measuring cup, whisk broth and flour until smooth. Add to skillet, along with chickpeas, apricots and raisins. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Spoon onto platter and add beef mixture. Top with cilantro and serve.
- You can substitute ground turkey, chicken or even meatloaf mix for the ground beef in these recipes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 576, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 69, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 78, fiber (g): 10, pro. (g): 35, sodium (mg): 697, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.