Servings: 6 Prep 25 mins Slow Cook 5 hrs to 7 hrs
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 baby carrots
- 2 parsnips (about 3/4 lb), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 turnips (about 1/2 lb), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound small (about 1 inch in diameter) multicolor potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Coat slow-cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Season beef with 1/2 tsp of the salt and 1/4 tsp of the pepper. Place in bottom of slow cooker.
2. Scatter onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips, turnips, potatoes and thyme over beef, in that order. Pour broth over top.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours. Drain liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp water and stir until combined. Slowly stir into saucepan and simmer 1 minute or until thickened. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir liquid back into slow cooker and serve.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 364, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 64, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 36, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 35, sodium (mg): 574, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.