Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 1 hr 40 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds beef chuck for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 26 ounce container unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson), about 31/4 cups
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Chopped parsley (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1/4 tsp of the salt and the black pepper and add to pot; saute 5 minutes, turning once. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add stock, 3 cups water, carrots and celery. Cover and simmer 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, barley, remaining 3/4 tsp of the salt and the thyme. Simmer 30 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in peas and simmer 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 304, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 40, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 33, fiber (g): 8, pro. (g): 27, sodium (mg): 724, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.