Servings: 6 Start to Finish 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and sliced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 14 1/2 ounce can dried thyme
- 1 cup quick-cook barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add beef and brown 1 minute. Turn and brown another minute. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
2. Reduce heat under pot to medium. Add carrots, celery, parsnips and onion. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add broth, 2 cups water and the dried thyme. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
3. Add barley and reduce heat to medium. Cook 12 minutes or as per package instructions. Stir in beef and any accumulated juices, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes and serve.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 310, Fat, total (g): 8, chol. (mg): 28, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 39, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 21, sodium (mg): 735, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.