Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Slow Cook on LOW 7-1/2 hours
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) dried black beans, picked over
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) dried pinto beans, picked over
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) dried kidney beans, picked over
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (12 ounces) soy crumbles (such as Smart Ground)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Soak beans overnight. Drain beans and place in slow cooker bowl. Add the bay leaf and 2 teaspoons chile powder and cover with 5 cups water. Cover; cook on LOW for 7 hours or until beans are tender.
2. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chile powder, cumin, oregano, onion, green pepper, garlic, tomatoes, soy crumbles, ketchup, cornmeal, salt and pepper; cook an additional 30 minutes.
3. Top with cheese and cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 349, Fat, total (g): 2, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 57, fiber (g): 18, pro. (g): 26, sodium (mg): 902, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.