Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Cook 1 hr
- Remove chicken skin for less fat.
- 8 small chicken drumsticks (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 1 can (13-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Saute drumsticks in oil in large nonstick skillet for 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove chicken.
2. In same skillet, saute onion 3 minutes. Saute carrot 3 minutes. Saute garlic 1 minute. Stir in lentils, broth and salt. Bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover; simmer 20 minutes.
3. Return chicken to skillet. Cook, covered, 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink near bone. If mixture becomes too dry, add a little boiling water to moisten.
4. Stir in tomato sauce, rosemary and basil. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes until lentils are tender and mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in lemon juice. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 349, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 95, carb. (g): 30, pro. (g): 38, sodium (mg): 594, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.