Servings: 12 Prep 15 mins Bake 450°F 15 mins
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings OR: vegetable oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1. Place drippings in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in oven. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Stir in eggs, buttermilk and jalapenos just until blended.
3. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven. Pour drippings into batter, stirring just until combined. Pour batter into pan; stir. Return to oven.
4. Bake in 450 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot with butter. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 167, Fat, total (g): 5, chol. (mg): 41, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 24, pro. (g): 5, sodium (mg): 591, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.