This bar cookie recipe features a cooked spicy frosting that's so full of coconut and pecans that a small piece will satisfy.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.Batter:
2. In large bowl, mix together cake mix, butter, egg and milk. Beat until thick but smooth, 2 minutes. Spread in prepared pan.
3. Bake in 350 degrees F oven until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack.Frosting:
4. Meanwhile, in medium-size saucepan, stir together sugar, evaporated milk, butter and egg yolks. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly; simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans, cinnamon and cloves.
5. Pour frosting over lightly cooled bar; smooth frosting to edges of pan. Let cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut into 36 bars and serve immediately. Or store bars in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.