These bar cookies are made up of four scrumptious layers--a cookie crust, a thin layer of marmalade, a pudding-like orange filling, and a rich chocolate frosting. Be sure to store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with aluminum foil, extending foil over sides.
2. Mix flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Press dough into bottom of prepared pan.
3. Bake in 350 degree F oven 30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool in dish on wire rack for 30 minutes.
4. Place 1/2 cup orange juice in glass measure. Sprinkle gelatin over top. Let stand until softened, for about 5 minutes. Microwave on high power for 20 seconds. Stir to dissolve gelatin. (Or heat mixture in small saucepan.) Let cool slightly.
5. Mix vanilla pudding, remaining orange juice and orange rind in medium-size bowl. Stir in gelatin mixture.
6. Remove pastry from baking dish and place on baking sheet. Spread marmalade in thin layer over cooled pastry. Top with pudding mixture in an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
7. Bring heavy cream to boiling in small heavy saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate until melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Let cool slightly. Pour over pudding layer; make decorative pattern with pastry comb or fork. Return to refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Cut into diamond-shaped pieces.