These bar cookies feature a buttery crust and meringue-like top filled with chopped maraschino cherries and pecans.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with butter or shortening.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a medium-size bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar about 2 minutes. Add 1 of the eggs and 1 egg yolk, reserving white. Mix well. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Blend in flour mixture until smooth.
3. Scatter dough into prepared pan. Pat down evenly with buttered fingers or a rubber spatula. Set aside.
4. Beat reserved egg white to stiff but moist peaks in a medium-size bowl. Pat cherries dry with a paper towel. Stir in cherries and light-brown sugar until combined. Spread over prepared crust in pan. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Cool cookie completely in pan on rack before cutting into bars and serving.