This sweet and simple layered cake recipe combines a delicious assortment of flavors--chocolate, almonds, and cherries. This dessert will make a colorful addition to your holiday platter.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Fit foil into the bottom and up the sides of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. On a well-floured surface, knead the brownie dough with the all-purpose flour. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Lift out of pan using foil and let cool completely.
3. On a well-floured surface, knead one package of the sugar cookie dough with the glace cherries and cherry extract. Knead in the red food coloring until no streaks remain. Press dough into another prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 minutes. Cool and lift out of pan as directed above.
4. Knead the remaining package of sugar cookie dough with the almond paste and almond extract. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool and lift out of pan as directed above.
5. Whirl the cherry preserves in a food processor until smooth.
6. Invert cooled brownie layer onto large cutting board. Spread half of the preserves evenly over the top. Invert the almond layer and place over the brownie layer. Spread with the remaining preserves. Invert cherry layer and place on top. Gently press down.
7. Melt the chips until smooth. Spread evenly over the top. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
8. Trim sides even. Cut into 48 squares.