Servings: 10 Yield: 5 cups batter Prep 10 mins Chill 1 hr to 2 hrs Bake according to manufacturer's directions Cook 10 mins to 12 mins
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 2/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- Fresh blueberries, raspberries, and/or sliced strawberries
1. In a small saucepan bring water to boiling; stir in quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Preheat waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions. In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl combine the quinoa, banana, egg yolks, butter, and milk. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
3. In a clean medium bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer or wire whisk until stiff. Fold into banana batter.
4. Add batter to waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve topped with berries.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 10; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 176, Fat, total (g): 5, chol. (mg): 73, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 27, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 7, vit. A (IU): 243, vit. C (mg): 2, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): , Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 20, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 133, Potassium (mg): 194, calcium (mg): 91, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.