Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Cook 10 mins Cool refrigerate overnight Microwave 2 mins
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 12 ounces Ball canning jars with metal rings and lids
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Sliced bananas, for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium pot, combine oats, 5 cups water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 10 minutes. (Oatmeal will be very watery.) Remove from heat; stir in bananas, sugar and lemon juice. Distribute oatmeal evenly among glass jars; screw on lids. Cool on countertop and refrigerate overnight.
2. To serve: Remove metal rings and lids. For each jar, stir in 1 tbsp buttermilk, 1 tbsp chopped walnuts and, if desired, additional brown sugar. Reheat in microwave for 11/2 to 2 minutes, until hot; let stand 1 minute. Carefully remove, stir and garnish with sliced bananas, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 266, Fat, total (g): 8, chol. (mg): 1, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 47, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 8, sodium (mg): 165, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.