- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 6 ounces sweet potatoes
- 1 15 ounce can reduced-sodium black beans, drained
- 1 12 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup)
- 1 8 3/4 ounce can reduced-sodium whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions for serving (optional)
1. In a large microwave safe glass bowl combine the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook in the microwave on high (100% power) for 2 minutes, uncovered, to soften the onions. Remove from the microwave while preparing the sweet potatoes.
2. Use a sharp knife to pierce the skin of each sweet potato 5 to 6 times. Arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer in the microwave. Microwave on 90% power for 5 minutes. Use tongs to flip the sweet potatoes and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes at 90% power. The sweet potatoes are done when the skin is slightly puffed and the flesh is easily pierced with a knife.
3. While the sweet potatoes cook, assemble the rest of the chili: Combine the black beans, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, and taco seasoning with the onion mixture. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and cook the chili for 6 minutes on high heat. Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave let the chili stand for 1 minute.
4. Split the sweet potatoes and serve with a scoop of the chili. Add shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions, if desired.
Tip Try These Time-Savers!
- Grating the onions and zucchini shortens prep time and helps both veggies cook faster in the microwave. Freeze the extra chili for a head start on the next round of baked sweet potatoes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 329, Fat, total (g): 4, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 64, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 12, sugar (g): 14, pro. (g): 10, vit. A (IU): 24545, vit. C (mg): 17, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 29, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 652, Potassium (mg): 1214, calcium (mg): 135, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.