- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces fully-cooked chicken & apple sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
2. Preheat the broiler. In a medium broiler-safe skillet cook sausage in 2 Tbs. hot oil over medium heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer sausage to a bowl.
3. Add the flour to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until flour turns tan, 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cheese and mustard. Stir in the macaroni and sausage. Broil 3-5 minutes, until top is browned.
4. Toss the lettuce and apple with the remaining 2 tsp. olive oil, cider vinegar, and salt. Serve with the mac & cheese.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 570, Fat, total (g): 29, chol. (mg): 72, sat. fat (g): 12, carb. (g): 53, Monounsaturated fat (g): 12, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 14, pro. (g): 26, vit. A (IU): 4817, vit. C (mg): 4, Thiamin (mg): 1, Riboflavin (mg): 1, Niacin (mg): 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 191, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 564, Potassium (mg): 493, calcium (mg): 488, iron (mg): 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.