These cheesy snacks are easy to make from frozen puff pasty. They make a lovely hostess gift, but hold some back for your family to nibble on.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a medium-size bowl, mix cheese, chili powder and garlic salt. Set aside.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 pastry sheet into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Brush lightly with the egg. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture and press gently into pastry with rolling pin. Turn sheet over and repeat process with egg and cheese mixture, pressing in lightly with rolling pin.
4. Starting from a 10-inch end, fold one-third of the pastry over the middle third. Fold opposite one-third over both to make 10 x 5-inch rectangle.
5. Cut rectangle in half crossways into two 5-inch squares. Cut each squareinto ten 1/2-inch-wide strips for a total of 20 pieces.
6. Place strips on ungreased baking sheets, twisting a few times and pressing ends onto sheets to prevent strips from uncurling. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove straws to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining ingredients for a total of 40 cheese straws. Store in a tightly covered container.
7. To present as a gift, pack in decorative boxes or containers with tight-fitting lids.