Makes: 4 servings. Prep: 10 minutes. marinate: 1 to 2 hours. grill: 6 minutes.
1. Grate the zest from the lime and reserve 3/4 teaspoon. Juice the lime.
2. In a shallow glass, ceramic or other nonreactive dish, combine lime zest and juice, olive oil, soy sauce, scallions and ginger and mix well. Add shrimp, turn to coat and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill so that the coals or heating elements are medium-hot. Off the heat, lightly spray the grate with vegetable oil spray.
4. Soak the wooden skewers in cold water until ready to use.
5. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and discard the marinade. Thread 5 shrimp onto each skewer and grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and just cooked through. Serve immediately with the Peanut Dipping Sauce.
1. In a small saute pan, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute, or until lightly golden brown. Add red pepper flakes and saute for a few seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, peanut butter and water, and reduce heat to medium-low so the sauce simmers gently. Add lime juice and simmer, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Let the sauce cool to room temperature.