Yield: about 4 cups Prep 10 mins Cook 20 mins
- 3 pounds McIntosh apples (8 to 9 medium-size), peeled, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup apple or cran-apple juice blend
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Cook apples in juice in saucepan, covered, over medium-high heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Mash to desired smoothness with a potato masher. If you prefer the applesauce completely smooth, pulse in a food processor. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Cool and serve. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Leave the apple pieces whole for a chunkier version.
- Decrease apples to 2-1/2 pounds and add 1 container (16 ounces) strawberries (stems removed) to saucepan before simmering. Omit cinnamon.
- Add 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries to apples and juice in saucepan and cook as directed. In step 2, stir in 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger along with sugar and other spices.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 109, Fat, total (g): , chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 3, fiber (g): , pro. (g): 28, sodium (mg): , Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.