Servings: 8 Prep 5 mins Bake 400°F 17 mins to 20 mins Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups self-rising flour (see note)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, mustard, salt and pepper in large bowl. Cut or rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add cheese.
3. Gently stir egg and milk in small bowl. Stir into flour mixture just until mixture comes together.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gently knead 10 to 12 times. Pat into 8-inch disk. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Cut dough into 8 equal wedges, separating slightly.
5. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- For the self-rising flour you can substitute a mixture of 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1-1/4 teaspoons salt.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 194, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 44, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 25, fiber (g): 1, pro. (g): 7, sodium (mg): 540, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.