Servings: 8 Prep 25 mins Cook 14 mins
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 6 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 14 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 McIntosh apple, cored and chopped into small cubes
1. In large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add potato and onion; cook until potato is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor, puree together 6 apples, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne.
3. Stir flour into sweet potato mixture; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, salt and apple puree. Bring to rolling boil over high heat; boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Working in batches, puree soup in food processor until very smooth. Return to saucepan. Whisk in cheese until melted. Garnish with apple.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 258, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 36, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 30, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 6, sodium (mg): 1043, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.