Servings: 6 Yield: servings Prep 25 mins Cook 1 hr 58 mins
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mole paste (such as La Costena; see Note)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds small (1 inch round) red potatoes, halved
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1 can (15 oz) hominy, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro, for garnish
1. Combine flour, 1 tsp ancho chile powder and 1/8 tsp of the salt. Dredge beef in mixture and reserve leftover mixture.
2. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute 5 minutes, turning once. Remove to a plate. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, the onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Stir in reserved flour mixture, mole paste, broth, 1 cup water, tomatoes, oregano and remaining 2 tsp chile powder.
3. Return beef to pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, carrots and remaining 3/8 tsp salt. Simmer an additional 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
4. Add hominy and garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 406, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 55, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 44, fiber (g): 8, pro. (g): 31, sodium (mg): 807, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.