- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin half-moons
- 3 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup alphabet pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill leaves (optional)
1. Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan in a single layer. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then stir until the chicken just loses its pink color, about 1 minute more.
2. Stir in the onion, carrots, celery, and a little more salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and 4 cups water and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in pasta, return to a boil, and simmer until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes. Stir in the peas and, if desired, dill and cook for 1 minute more.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 275, Fat, total (g): 5, chol. (mg): 90, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 30, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 5, pro. (g): 24, vit. A (IU): 4004, vit. C (mg): 8, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 7, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 103, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 382, Potassium (mg): 425, calcium (mg): 45, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.