9 Ways to Get More Calcium
Try these nutrient-rich foods to up your calcium intake in your third trimester.
If you're a milk drinker, getting the calcium you and your baby need is relatively easy. If you don't like milk, you can still get plenty of calcium if you're creative. Here are some ways to sneak calcium into your diet:
- Add low-fat or fat-free shredded cheese to your salads or cooked vegetables.
- Use plain non-fat yogurt as a base for salad dressings.
- Fix powdered non-fat dry milk into smoothies.
- Eat high-calcium vegetables such as broccoli, okra, kale, mustard greens, and collard greens.
- Drink hot cocoa made with skim milk instead of water.
- Add milk instead of water to canned soups.
- If you like coffee, order a decaf latte with skim milk.
- Drink calcium-fortified orange juice.
- Experiment with calcium-fortified soy products, such as soymilk and tofu.
Originally published in You & Your Baby: Pregnancy.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.