5 Fashion Tips for a Formal Night Out
Here's how to make maternity look glamorous!
Flummoxed by how to get ready for that fancy event -- and wondering where on earth you'll find formal wear to accommodate your belly? Don't panic and grab the first thing you find in desperation. The most important thing to remember when dressing up during pregnancy is to maintain the sense of style you had before you were pregnant, advises Liz Lange, owner and designer of Liz Lange Maternity. Lange's business was born out of her own frustration with the lack of selection in maternity clothing.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your evening out:
1. Dress up the classic black dress. The easiest solution to your dilemma problem is to start with a well-fitting black dress. Almost everyone has one, and if you don't, it's a great piece to have in your maternity wardrobe. Add sheer black stockings and a pair of dressy (but comfortable) black heels, finish the look with a great necklace, pearls, or a pair of beautiful earrings. Presto -- you've got an easy evening ensemble you can wear over and over!
2. Experiment with separates. Search your closet, or your best friend's, for any pieces you may have that you can combine to form an appropriate outfit. Lange's favorite pairings are a black skirt with a cashmere sweater set or slim black pants with a taffeta evening blouse or tunic. If you're going to wear all black, add a dash of color and luxury with a pashmina, cashmere, or silk wrap, advises Lange.
3. Play up your best features. Work with styles that accentuate your arms and legs because it will balance your beautifully expanding belly. Choose sleeveless tops or dresses -- they create one long silhouette. When you're deciding between long and short hemlines, go short and wear stockings that match your shoes so your legs look like uninterrupted slim lines.
4. Try a rental boutique. This may be your best bet if you have a black-tie event and you just don't want to make do with what you have. It's the equivalent of a man renting a tuxedo for the night, so why not try it? You have nothing to lose!
5. Turn up your hair and makeup a notch. Emphasize your eyes with a shimmery shadow and two coats of mascara, and give your lips a swipe of gloss. Take a few extra minutes to blow-dry your hair with a round brush and then smooth a few drops of silicone-based serum over your hair for shine.
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.