Pregnancy Squats: The Perfect Prenatal Fitness Move For Every Trimester
It's been said that if you only do one workout move, it should be a squat. While we never advocate sticking to one move exclusively, there's something to this advice: Squats work so many different body parts. And yes, one amazing side effect of doing your squats is that you'll likely have your best butt ever—but there's more to the move than just that.
Pregnant women can definitely benefit from squatting... As long as they take appropriate precautions. Like with everything else, it's all about listening to your body, consulting your doctor and modifying the moves to suit your pregnant body.
Fitness expert Jennifer Forrester has put together an incredible squat-centric sequence that's ideal for every stage of your pregnancy: The move will pump up your heart rate, tone your body and strengthen your lower half. Best of all, it's an ideal option for pregnant women, especially if they follow Forrester's advice and make slight modifications with each new trimester.
Forrester was kind enough to break down the steps to the perfect pregnancy squat routine for each trimester right here:
First Trimester Pregnancy Squats
- Start by spreading your feet hip width apart.
- Reach your hips back as if you were sitting in a chair until your hips are almost paralell with the ground.
- Stand up returning to the start position and repeat.
Second Trimester Pregnancy Squats
- Start by squatting down until hips are almost parallel with the ground.
- Hold at the bottom as you pulse a few inches up and down twice.
- Stand up to your toes and then return to squat position and repeat.
Third Trimester Pregnancy Squats
- Stand with your head and back against a wall.
- Lower your body into a squat position until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Hold for 30 seconds
RELATED: 10 Pregnancy Treadmill Workout Tips