Buy More, Spend Less: A Year's Worth of Deals
- Luggage Retailers try to unload pieces that didn't sell during the travel push of the holiday season.
- Sports equipment If it's cold out now, then it's time to off-season shop and pick up the gear your family needs for summer.
- Exercise equipment Some retailers offer discounts to nab buyers who just made a New Year's resolution to shape up.
- Linens This tradition started in 1878, so it's a sale few retailers miss.
- Furniture Because new styles hit the floor in February, you should be able to find a bargain now.
- TVs Retailers offer deals leading right up to Super Bowl kickoff.
- Cameras & camcorders Trade shows for electronics happen in January, so last year's models will be deeply discounted as stores make space for the latest gizmos.
- Winter clothes Because spring fashions are in the stores by now, sale racks will be full of winter wear. Buy boots and coats in the next size up.
- Grills Come springtime, retailers are serious about unloading last year's models. Think about snagging one at a discount before grilling season starts.
Save your money! You'll be hard-pressed to find deals. And here's hoping your family gets a big tax refund. When the check arrives, put it in the bank. Sellers know that shoppers may have an influx of cash soon, so prices tend to go up.
- Vacuums New models arrive in June; consider one of last year's suckers.
- Tools You'll see that prices drop nicely, just in time for Dad's big day.
- Furniture The year's second crop arrives in stores next month, so the old inventory has to go. You'll find great deals on last season's selections.
- Summer clothes Fall fashions are up next, so kids' warm-weather essentials will be priced nicely.
- Computers You can count on sellers dropping their prices this month, to get in on the back-to-school action.
- Small appliances Also on the BTS bandwagon this month: stores that sell microwaves and toasters.
- Cars Starting this month, dealers are eager to move old models out to make room for new inventory. You'll find the best sale selection now, although dealers will up the ante with even deeper discounts and better incentives later in the year.
- Outdoor equipment As store owners make room for leaf and snow blowers, they'll drop the prices of their lawn mowers and patio furniture.
- Big appliances Stores offer discounts on washers, dryers, and the like, in order to clear the floor for next year's offerings. If you're okay with a little dent in the merchandise, you'll save even more on floor models.
- TVs Thanksgiving and football season translate into sweet deals.
- Toys It's a holiday miracle -- the kids' stuff you want is actually on sale when you need it!
3 Things You Can Buy Anytime This Year
1. A home Prices and interest rates remain low, and houses are priced to sell
2. A mattress Always negotiate: The price listed is never final, and you can often talk your way into a better deal.
3. A cell phone New devices are being introduced all the time, so sales aren't driven by a shift in stock.
Originally published in the January 2012 issue of Parents magazine.