Jillian Michaels' One-Minute Workout for Busy Moms
Reality TV star and fitness coach Jillian Michaels is also a mom, which means she understands it can be hard to fit in a good workout. The personal trainer recently shared a short, high intensity workout with us that's great for burning calories, boosting metabolism, and accelerating physical conditioning—and fits in even the busiest mom's schedule.
“We all know mommies don’t have time to waste,” Michaels says. “We need to use our time as efficiently as possible, and that’s why training with the most metabolic techniques get the best results when short on time.”
Michaels' workout, from the Jillian Michaels app, uses a combination of HIIT intervals and multiple muscle exercises, which "build core strength, stability, agility, speed, strength, and power—which every mom needs," she says.
Follow along with the video and try it for yourself!
Jump Jack Squat (10 seconds)
The Jump Jack Squat is great for cardiovascular conditioning, lower body strength (glutes and quads), and calorie burning.
- Start with your feet together then jump them out just wider than outer hips distance.
- Squat down with a straight back and touch the ground with the tips of your fingers.
- Jump back up bringing your feet together while clapping your hands overhead.
Skaters (10 seconds)
Skaters are great for cardiovascular conditioning, core stabilization, lower body strength (glutes and quads), and calorie burning.
- Leap to the right landing firm on your right foot with your left touching the floor behind your right.
- Simulate a skating position with your arms swinging to the left across your body.
- Repeat to the left (with your arms swinging right).
- Continue to repeat from side to side.
Squat Jacks (10 seconds)
Squat Jacks are fantastic for cardiovascular conditioning, lower body strength (quads and calves), and calorie burning.
- Star with your feet together.
- Squat down into a chair pose, back straight, hips back.
- Staying low, jump your feet out into a squat position.
- Return to chair pose.
Surfer Get Ups (10 seconds)
Surfer Get Ups are a great move for cardiovascular conditioning, core, chest, shoulder, triceps, and quads. And they burn a lot of calories.
- From standing hit the floor prone as in lower push up position.
- Jump back down into a split stance with knees bent as if you’re hoping up onto a surfboard.
- Then lower back down and repeat the entire move on the opposite side.
- Jump back up with knees bent in a split stance as if jumping up onto a surfboard.
Everest Climber (10 seconds)
Everest Climbers are great for cardiovascular conditioning, core, chest, shoulder, triceps, and quads. They also burn a lot of calories.
- Start in plank position.
- Jump switch your right foot to the outside of your right hand.
- Return to plank.
- Jump switch your left foot to the outside of your left hand.
- Return to plank.
- Continue to other side.
Lateral Burpees (10 seconds)
Lateral Burpees are fantastic for cardiovascular conditioning, core, chest, shoulder, triceps, and quads. They are also a great move for torching calories.
- Bring your hands down to the ground.
- Jump both feet out to the side.
- Return to start position.
- Jump up tall.
- Repeat on the other side.
Don't forget to take care of yourself before and after your workout!
"I always recommend a quick 3-5 minute cardiovascular warm up—you can jog around the block, jump rope, run up and down your stairs, etc.," Michaels says. "Static stretching is OK for cool down, but foam rolling is ideal. Be sure to stretch or roll quads, glutes, hamstrings, psoas, shoulders, triceps, chest, low back."
Libby Ryan is Editorial Assistant for Parents.com.