One of the best things about being at the beach is building an awesome sand castle with your kids. We asked Matt Long, a sand-sculpting expert and founder of Canyoudigit.com, for his top tips.
1. Take buckets, shovels, molds (one cheap option: empty food containers in different sizes), and straws for putting on the finishing touches.
2. Find a spot that's close to the water so the sand will be wet underneath (but don't get too close if the tide is coming in).
3. Soak your spot with water. Then create a large platform with the wet sand. Pack it firmly and use your straw to poke a few holes at the bottom so the water seeps through and keeps everything moist.
4. Create towers and spires using your molds, or just use your hands to build mounds of sand.
5. Decorate the castle with dribbles of wet sand, shells, and seaweed. Use straws to carefully carve out windows and stairs.