How to Rock a Bump
Q&A with Jamie
American Baby: What is your go-to piece now?
Jamie-Lynn Sigler: I wear a dress almost every day. In the beginning, I was choosing ones that had an empire waist and some flow, but I quickly realized that fitted is a pregnant woman's best friend. Show off!
AB: Having your first baby is such an exciting time!
JLS: My fiance (baseball player Cutter Dykstra) says his favorite thing is to watch my face when
we hear the baby's heartbeat at the doctor's. He's like, "I have never seen you smile any bigger in your whole life."
AB: What other maternity faves have you found?
JLS: The first few months I lived in maternity jeans and leggings. I think they're a great investment. I'm probably going to wear them even when I'm not pregnant. The elastic waists are so comfy!
AB: Does dressing feel different to you now that you're pregnant?
JLS: To be honest, I'm trying not to be self-conscious about it. You should get free passes for all sorts of things when you?re pregnant!
Mix and Match
Check out more combos! All the pieces in our lookbook can be switched around for weeks' worth of styles. Sigler's only fave not shown? The Spanx Power Mama under-clothes support. ($32; Spanx.com) "It gives your bump some shape," she says.
1. A neutral dress is the perfect canvas for, well, everything. ($138; 4thLove.com)
2. Love the vintage vibe of this roomy Army parka. ($40; Zara)
3. You'll never go wrong with a slimming pair of black leggings. ($189; JBrandJeans.com)
4. Don't forget a little black dress! This is a luxe LBD, but they come at all prices. ($169; APeaInThePod.com)
5. Express your happiness with a fun, embellished top. ($20; OldNavy.com)
6. These comfy jeans have a waist that goes over or under your bump. ($95; APeaInThePod.com)
7. Layer a cardigan to change any look in an instant. ($138; BodenUSA.com)
Also paired with Item 1 from Look 1.
8. On weekends, snuggle into an oversize sweater, like this one from Queen Mum. ($180; KickinMaternity.com)
Also paired with Item 6 from Look 3.
9. A trendy print like this leopard dress will liven up your look and your mood. ($60; TopShop.com)
Also paired with Item 8 from Look 4.
10. Brocade takes Ripe Maternity's pants to a sophisticated level. ($119; TheSwankyStork.com)
11. This ruched tank grows with you. ($68; IngridAndIsabel.com)
12. A jacket this cool will be in heavy rotation after pregnancy too. ($248; BCBG.com)
13. A touch of faux leather adds a fun edge. ($90; SevenWomen.ca)
14. Two fabrics on Maternal America's shirt give it a modern color-blocked style. ($108; BumpBrooklyn.com)
15. You'll be work-ready in this black-and-white blazer. ($30; HM.com)
16. This sweatshirt shines on its own or works as a basic under other pieces. ($30; OldNavy.com)
Also paired with Item 13 from Look 7.
Paired with Item 4 from Look 2 and Item 7 from Look 3.
Originally published in the September 2013 issue of American Baby magazine.