What Millennial Moms Think About Beauty
Moms Love Natural Beauty Looks
Eighty-eight percent of moms prefer Kourtney Kardashian's laid-back style to sister Kim's glamazon look, and 13 percent don't even wear makeup on date night!
Moms Also Love Unnatural Beauty Trends
Fifty-four percent of moms have tried gel manicures; 34 percent have dyed their hair blue, pink, or another nontraditional color; 16 percent have worn lash extensions; 13 percent have rocked temporary jewelry tattoos.
Moms Would Choose Makeup Over Sex
Forty-four percent of moms would rather give up sex for a month than makeup for a month!
Moms Confess to Having Brow Problems
Four out of 5 is the number of moms who admit to being brow challenged. Fear not! You can improve your game by finding the brow-shaping technique that's right for you:
- Pro: Hairs are removed individually, so there's less room for error. It's the safest method for sensitive skin.
- Con: Precision requires more time and patience.
- Pro: Quick and relatively painless; creates the cleanest, most defined look.
- Con: Because heat is needed, you might get red -- or worse, burned.
- Pro: Like tweezing but faster, creates a naturally polished look.
- Con: May result in too much hair removal, and the discomfort factor is high.
Moms Prefer the Ponytail
Nearly half of moms wear their hair in a ponytail four or more times a week.
Wish your pony could be perkier? Try an extension! Here's our pick: Hair2Wear Christie Brinkley Collection The Pony, hair2wear.com.
Moms Rely on Pinterest for Hairspiration
Pinterest is moms' number-one source of inspiration when searching for a new 'do. And they're twice as likely as non-millennial moms to have a beauty-themed board.
More Moms Love Dry Shampoo
Thirty-two percent of moms employ this timesaving product. That means a lot of others don't, despite the flood of them now on the market. But take note: Instead of washing, drying, and styling, just spray and go!
We suggest you try one of these top sellers.
- Best for fine hair Batiste Dry Shampoo (ulta.com) instantly takes away that greasy-roots look.
- Best for curly hair Deva Curl No-Poo Quick Cleanser (devacurl.com) contains conditioning ingredients to get softness and bounce back into your spirals.
- Best for brunettes Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk-Natural Tint (kloraneusa.com) doesn't leave any powdery white residue.
Moms Don't Dawdle on Beauty Routines
Seventy-one percent of moms spend 30 minutes or less on their beauty routine, and 13 percent of moms get ready in 10 minutes or less!
New-Mom Makeovers: Choosing the Right Makeup for Your Skin Tone
How do you know what shade of foundation matches your skin tone? Our beauty expert shares the best ways to determine if you're a cool or warm tone.
Moms Have Mastered the Art of the Selfie
Fifty-six percent of moms take selfies!
Moms' Go-To Beauty Destination Is the Drugstore
Mass merchandisers such as Walmart and Target top the list of where moms shop for their beauty necessities.
Moms Love a Good Floral Perfume
Forty percent of moms picked floral to best describe their current scent. Note to the 17 percent who chose baby spit-up: This too shall pass!
Hot Floral Scents:
- Philosophy Live Joyously, philosophy.com
- Fresh Honeysuckle, fresh.com
- Kate Spade Walk On Air, nordstrom.com
- Tocca Isabel, tocca.com
- Bella Vince Camuto, macys.com
Moms Share Common Skin Issues
For moms of babies and toddlers, stretch marks are their main concern. Come preschool, acne takes the top spot. The biggest skin issues overall:
- 27% acne
- 22% stretch marks
- 18% dark circles
- 18% fine lines/wrinkles
- 15% sun damage
Moms' Beauty Trends Differ by Region
East Coast: Gel manicures are hot everywhere, but especially here.
Midwest: More moms have tried temporary jewelry tattoos.
South: Moms are most likely to spray-tan.
West Coast: Alphabet creams are used the most.
Originally published in the May 2015 issue of Parents magazine.