See how beauty vlogger mama Dulce Candy does the holidays!
Beauty vlogger Dulce Candy’s rise to Internet stardom is the stuff of sweet dreams: As a kid, she emigrated with her family from Mexico to the United States because her parents hoped she’d have a better chance in life. College wasn’t in the budget after high school, so she joined the army. It was there she met Jesse Ruiz, who became her husband and the father of their son, Izek, now 5. The military didn’t exactly provide a creative outlet, so one day back in 2008, Dulce Candy (full name: Dulce Candy Tejeda Ruiz) posted a video on YouTube explaining why she loves Mary Kay eyeshadow. That video soon led to others, when viewers started responding to her easy-to-follow tutorials and spot-on product recommendations. So much so, in fact, that today the 29-year-old has gained more than 2 million subscribers and enough financial success to support her own family and her parents too. We’re so inspired by this millennial makeup pro, we asked her to create two holiday looks moms can rock.
The smoky eye takes a delicate turn this season with spicy brown hues. For a little edge, do a dark lip in a deep wine shade. Dulce Candy’s picks:
- Almay Intense I-Color Shadow Softies in Crème Brûlée. $5. “Dab it on the inner corners of the eyes to add brightness.”
- Revlon PhotoReady Kajal Eye Pencil in Matte Espresso. $10.
- Maybelline New York Expert Wear Eyeshadow in Constant Toast. $3. “Use a rich brown color along the crease for a contoured effect.”
- Clinique Pop Liquid Matte Lip Colour + Primer in Black Licorice Pop. $18.50.
- RELATED: Dulce Candy: What I'm Grateful For
Metallics continue to be a huge trend in makeup, especially for the holidays. Dulce Candy’s unique approach: exaggerated, encrusted lids and a bold red lip instead of the expected neutral. If you’re feeling daring enough to show off this look, try:
- Tom Ford Lip Color in Cherry Lush. $53.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Cuff. $20. “It goes on smoothly and I love that it’s waterproof.”
- Kat Von D Ink Liner in Trooper. $20. “A graphic liner that’s easy to master and creates the most precise cat eye.”
- MAC Cosmetics Pigment in Platinum. $22. A little goes a long way with this loose, shimmery powder. “Apply it with a wet eyeshadow brush for a more intense effect.”
Lash Tip: Dulce Candy’s not afraid to admit to a little enhancement in the form of falsies, specifically Ardell Individuals. $4.
The Way To Glow
Skin that looks lit from within is key to both looks. Dulce Candy gets it with: