6 Photos of Schools Reopening Around the World Show Us What Could Come Next for Our Kids
Wondering what schools might look like with guidelines in place to lower the risk of contracting coronavirus in classrooms? These photos from countries where schools have already reopened hold some clues.
As states across the U.S. begin to reopen after coronavirus stay at home orders, there's one question on most parents' minds: What's going to happen with schools? And it's a complicated issue, weighing the need for child care, education, public health, and personal safety. But in some countries ahead of us on the pandemic timeline, schools are beginning to welcome kids back into classrooms—giving us a glimpse of what could come next for American kids to keep them learning and safe.
1. One viral video shared on TikTok and Twitter shows a whole sanitation routine before entering a school in China.
2. Schools might take temperatures as kids walk into the building.
3. Teachers might get creative with social distancing methods for kids.
4. Everything would likely be spread out, like in these schools in Denmark.
5. And regular sanitizing is likely to be routine, like this school in China.
6. It might mean kids eat lunch a little more spaced out than usual, and don't share food.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently released guidelines suggesting how schools could most safely reopen within the country, outlining many of these measures seen in other countries. As for what happens after this spring of distance learning? Experts agree that there's not one answer for what comes next. Instead, educators around the country are preparing for distance-learning summer school and hoping to return to classrooms in the fall—as safely as possible.