After her 1-year-old's Nuby insulated light-up cup exploded, the mom from Idaho suffered burns and chemical exposure to her lungs and face.

By Maressa Brown
Courtesy of Luv n' care

January 28, 2019

A mom from Boise, Idaho is warning other parents after her 1-year-old's sippy cup exploded, leading to multiple injuries. Dzevada Becirovic told local news outlet KTVB that she had just poured milk in the Nuby insulated light-up cup when the incident occurred. “There's the bottom of it where the battery blew around here," Becirovic said. "It’s a lithium ion battery, and it blew up through here. It was super scary. I immediately couldn't breathe — my lungs were on fire, my throat, I couldn’t stop coughing."

Becirovic, whose hand and face were burned by the cup, as well, said she had a friend come over to watch her kids so she could head to the hospital.

She said she was also understandably upset by the fact that the cup could have exploded on her son instead. “It did a lot of damage and what that would have done in his hands, I don't even want to imagine. I really don't,” she said. "I'm scared to death of something like this happening again with another product or another toy or happening to somebody else."

That's why Becirovic is now speaking out. She explained that she never put the cup in the microwave or dishwasher and believes that the cup's battery is the root cause of the worrisome incident."We do our best to protect our kids every day, but something like that is just a freak accident or it could be something that's preventable by not having such a powerful battery in a little kid's cup,” Becirovic said.

KTVB reached out to the parent company that manufactures the cup, Luv n' care, Ltd., which said they've asked Becirovic to send her cup in so they can run tests to determine what happened. They noted that all of their cups are tested and inspected, and Becirovic's cup was deemed safe if "properly used."

But Becirovic told the news outlet that she's not sending in the cup until she obtains legal advice and has a third party inspect the cup. “Obviously they missed something,” Becirovic said. “I just want to get the word out there, in case somebody has it, to just throw it away and get it away from your kids' reach before it hurts them.”



Be the first to comment!