Recalls happen. Food companies are put on blast for misrepresenting the nutritional content of their products. But there's still something deeply unsettling about food safety issues affecting the snacks and drinks we give our kids. No wonder that, upon finding a mold-like substance floating in a Capri Sun, an Indiana father took to Facebook to share his experience.
On September 24, the dad of a 3-year-old named Cameron Hardwick posted video and photos of the offending juice box pouch, writing, ""**Public Service Announcement!** Friends & family please read & share! So tonight after dinner our oldest asked for some "juice" (Capri Sun) as a treat for eating good, I grabbed one out of the refrigerator and notice something odd about it... it seems low in content, I take a closer look at the packaging and don't notice a hole or anything. So I shake it up some, only to find an unknown substance floating around in the package. To say we are irate would be an understatement... we don't give these to our children often but will NEVER again! #SERIOUSLY #CapriSun."
Capri Sun has acknowledged the incident on their website, noting that what Hardwick found is "a common, naturally occurring food mold. Although it's rare, it is possible for food mold to grow inside containers of preservative-free juice drinks if the pouch is compromised or punctured in any way on its journey from our facilities to your grocery stores."
The company, owned by Kraft Foods, also emphasized that they're doing what they can to make their packaging safer. "We care deeply about this issue and about the well-being of our moms, dads and kids. That's why we have invested millions of dollars in our packaging, quality and manufacturing processes to make our pouches even stronger and more resistant to air leaks," the website reads. "We recommend that parents gently squeeze each pouch to check for leaks before serving Capri Sun to their kids. Any leaky or punctured pouches should be discarded."
Meanwhile, Hardwick shared in a follow-up post that Kraft Foods reached out to him a day after his original post went viral. He says a "third party company came to the house to pick up the 'sample' and package the following day, then sent it to a lab for testing. They came back with the results a few days later and said there was a 'micro-puncture' in the package allowing oxygen to enter the pouch and create the mold seen in the video and pictures."
Though Hardwick's experience sounds like the result of a legit albeit major "oops," parents certainly appreciate the heads-up. His post has been shared more than 80K times. With hope, Kraft continues to elevate their packaging to guard against issues like this down the road.