Reading Nook Canopy
Create an irresistible retreat with our no-sew canopy made from a bed sheet and a quilting hoop.
You Will Need:
- Full-size flat sheet
- 50- to 80-pound test fishing line
- Large paper clip
- 23-inch quilting hoop (ours cost $7 at Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts Stores)
- Glue dots
- Cut a small slit on each side of the top hemmed edge of the sheet. Tie the fishing line onto the paperclip. Thread it into one slit, through the hemmed channel, and out the other slit.
- Untie the line from the paper clip. Tie the two ends together, then pull them to gather the fabric into a tight circle. Double-knot to secure the line.
- Separate the inner and outer rings of the quilting hoop. Insert the inner ring inside the sheet about two feet beneath the gathered end
- Drape the gathered end so that it hangs down inside the ring. Slip the outer ring over the inner one to sandwich the fabric between the two. Tighten the outer ring.
- Cut triangles from the felt (ours measure 5 1/2 inches long) and attach them to the outer hoop using glue dots. (Tip: Press the glue dots onto the triangles while the dots are still attached to the backing paper.)
- Tie a length of fishing line to the line in the gathered end of the sheet.
- Hang the tent from a secure hook in the ceiling.
Originally published in the September 2012 issue of FamilyFun magazine.