6 Fun Food-Inspired Valentine's Cards for Kids
Churro-K By Me!
1. For the churro, cut a 5½-by-1¾-in. strip from corrugated-cardboard scrapbook paper. Add white glue to the smooth side of strip, and fold it inward three times. Use a rubber band to hold folded strip in place until glue dries.
2. Brush the outside of the churro with glue and roll it in white glitter on a plate. Set on wax paper to dry. Remove excess glitter with a paintbrush.
3. Use template to cut a cup shape from patterned cardstock, a cup oval from solid-colored cardstock, and a chocolate oval from brown cardstock.
4. Attach cup oval to the top of the cup with a glue stick. Glue chocolate oval to center of cup oval. On a protected surface, a parent will need to cut a slit in the middle of the chocolate oval with a craft knife. Insert the churro. Attach a personalized message around the cup handle.
Tip: Snip the bottom of the cup handle to cut out the hole, then reattach it with clear tape.
I’m Your #1 Flan!
1. Use our template to cut an oval out of brown cardstock for the dish and an oval out of yellow cardstock for the flan.
2. Cut the sides of the yellow oval on an angle to create the flan shape. Attach it to the top of the brown oval with a glue stick.
3. From the brown cardstock scraps, cut a caramel-drip shape. Use a glue stick to attach it to the top of the flan.
4. Knot a length of red pearl-cotton embroidery thread, and string a red, ¾-in. pom-pom onto it. Trim the top of the string to make the cherry stem.
5. Use white glue to attach the cherry to the top of the flan. Personalize with a message of your choice.
Tip: If you’re making multiple flans, thread several pom-poms at once. Tie a knot, slip one pom-pom down, trim the string, and repeat!
Taco 'Bout a Good Friend
1. Cut 5-in. circles from yellow cardstock (trace an old DVD or CD for the shape); fold in half to make the taco shells.
2. Write “Taco ‘bout a good friend” inside on one side of the fold. Squiggle white glue onto the other side and press green crinkle paper into glue. When dry, shake off excess crinkle paper and glue on small paper hearts. We used a ⅞ -in. heart hole punch to make ours.
3. Close the tacos and use Glue Dots to stick googly eyes onto the exterior of the tacos.
You Take the Cake
1. Download and print cake templates here. Using the template, trace and cut out brown or cream cardstock cake shapes and patterned paper triangles and strips for frosting.
2. Glue frosting paper to cake bases with a glue stick. Add a line of tacky glue at top edges and press 1/2-in. pom-poms into place as more frosting.
3. Stick on googly eyes, and write “You take the cake” on the back with a paint marker.
I Only Have Fries for You
1. Download and print the fries-box template from here. Trace and cut out shapes from pink or red paper.
2. Assemble the boxes according to template, folding the bottom edges up first. Secure with double-stick tape. Add eye stickers to front.
3. Cut yellow pipe cleaners 3 to 4 in. long for french fries; fill boxes with fries.
4. Write “I only have fries for you” on boxes or on strips of paper that you fold around fries and secure with a glue stick.
Here's the Scoop: You’re Cool
1. Cut corrugated brown scrapbook paper into 23/4x41/2x41/2-in. triangles. Use a 2 1/2-in. round punch to cut circles out of colored cardstock. Glue circles onto the flat sides of the triangles with a glue stick.
2. Decorate with 3/4-in. heart stickers for eyes and 3/4-in. pink office stickers cut into mouth shapes.
3. Write “Here’s the scoop: You’re cool” on the back, or print wrappers from parents.com/punnyvalentines. Cut out the wrappers and fold them over cones. Glue to back with a glue stick.