Moms, don't blow off Valentine's Day! Embrace it, and expect more.
As moms, we may have come to believe Valentine's Day is no big deal. There's so much going on with the kids—homework, sniffles, play dates, teething, night feedings, tantrums, a mysterious odor emanating from one of their bedrooms that you might die trying to find the source of—who has time to think about attention being lavished on you?
But I'd like to argue that just because you typically have breast milk-stains on your top, and your roots are so bad your hair stylist pretended not to know you when you ran into her at the grocery store, it doesn't mean you don't deserve an epic Valentine's Day!
After all, you do everything for your family, 365 days a year. So it's about time you felt special. Need more convincing? Here are 14 more reasons:
1. You pushed out a baby. Your man can certainly push himself toward a florist.
2. You're pregnant, which is clearly an excuse to eat SO much chocolate. And get the most legendary massage in human history.
3. You wiped butts all year. That's gotta warrant a dinner out with candlelight!
4. Your sexy lingerie typically consists of nursing bras and Spanx. On principle alone, that's not happening today. Just no.
5. It's about time someone (you!) proved a diamond bracelet does in fact go with yoga pants.
6. The last time you had a night out, there were still like 20 Republican candidates for president.
7. You've changed upwards of 2,000 diapers this year. So attention, dads everywhere: A card just isn't going to cut it.
8. Eight months of sleepless nights has gotta earn you at least a stuffed animal. With a necklace on it.
9. You grew a human being out of love for your partner, so he can write a poem to profess his undying love for you...right?
10. The fact that you spend most evenings in sweatpants, eating your kid's leftover chicken nuggets, means the most romantic kiss from your partner since Kate smooched Leo is coming your way. The cosmos demand it.
11. The only bubbly you sipped while expecting was ginger ale. Now that the baby's out, it's time for champs!
12. What better occasion than Valentine's Day to road test your theory that contrary to popular belief, you have not forgotten how to walk in heels?
13. Pumping and dumping is totally worth it if you've just enjoyed a really expensive bottle of wine.
14. Your babysitter is really broke. The least you can do is offer to pay her to watch your kids, so you can go out to a realllly nice restaurant and talk to your hubby about something other than the consistency of the last diaper you changed.
Melissa Willets is a writer/blogger and a mom. Find her on Facebook where she chronicles her life momming under the influence. Of coffee.