Hey, Dads! Round up your crew and whip up one (or all) of these treats Mom will love on her special day. Then prepare for lots of XOXOs!
Homemade Chai Tea Sachets
Bring new meaning to her daily tea break: Write the brewing instructions on colorful paper tags, and decorate the other side.
Makes: 8 Tea Bags
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 16 green cardamom pods
- 12 whole cloves
- 1½ tsp. whole black peppercorns
- ¼ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- ⅓ cup loose black tea leaves
- 16 (5 inch) cheesecloth squares
- 8 (6 inch) baker’s twine pieces
1. Combine cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and peppercorns in a heavyduty zip-top plastic bag. Crush spices with a rolling pin. Toss together spices, ginger, and tea until blended.
2. Bundle 1½ Tbs. tea mixture in a double layer of cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth tightly with one piece of twine. Repeat with remaining tea mixture, cheesecloth, and twine.
Brewing Instructions (to Write on Gift Tag): Bring 1 cup water to a simmer in a saucepan. Remove from heat, and add 1 tea bag; let steep 5 minutes. Add ⅓ cup milk, and heat until warm. Pour into a mug, and sweeten with honey or sugar to taste.
Tip: Pile the tea sachets high in a pretty new mug. Or put loose tea in a jar and give with a mug and tea ball.
Poppy Seed and Parmesan Cheese Straws
A crunchy indulgence perfect for this special day! Serve some in a treat jar, and then save the rest to enjoy as a family later.
Makes: About 18 pieces
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup finely grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs. water
- 1 package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds, divided
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Toss together cheeses, garlic powder, red pepper (if using), and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together egg and water in a mug.
2. Unfold 1 pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to a 10x10-inch square. Brush pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle with half of cheese mix. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. poppy seeds. Press mixture into pastry. Cut pastry into nine to ten strips. Lay each strip on a baking sheet, and twist a few times. Chill baking sheet in fridge until ready to cook, and repeat with remaining pastry.
3. Bake, rotating pans once, until lightly browned and puffed, about 14 to 16 minutes. Cool completely.
Tip: Arrange the cheese straws in a mason jar for easy gifting—and snacking
Candied Pistachio Apricots
Delicious dipped fruit is easy for kids to create from start to finish.
Makes: 25 pieces
- 1 cup dark chocolate melting wafers (such as Ghirardelli)
- 24 dried apricots
- ⅓ cup finely chopped roasted, salted, shelled pistachios
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chocolate in a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave, stirring at 30-second intervals, until melted and smooth, about 1½ minutes.
2. Dip two thirds of each apricot into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on baking sheet, and sprinkle immediately with nuts. Let stand until firm, about 30 minutes.
Tip: Tuck the apricots away in a gift box layered with wax paper.