Make traditional potato pancakes one night, but then surprise the kids with dessert for dinner at your next Hanukkah candle-lighting.
Here’s how to whip up sweet apple latkes:
1. Peel and coarsely grate 2 or 3 tart apples. Using paper towels, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
2. Combine apples, 1 tsp. vanilla, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tbs. sugar, 2 large eggs (lightly beaten), ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan (about 1 Tbs.).
4. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoons into the skillet and flatten into disks with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
5. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the edges are brown and crisp. Flip and cook until the pancakes are nicely browned on the second side, about 2 minutes more.
6. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Continue with remaining batter. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream!