Start with solid-color pieces to build this adorably sweet squid.
What You'll Need
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- 2 extra-large pom-poms
- Eye mask
- Download, print, and enlarge squid hat template at parents.com/squid. Using template, trace and cut two squid shapes from felt. Hot-glue edges together to create hat, leaving about a 20" opening (or large enough to fit your child?s head) at the base.
- Create tentacles by cutting three 18" wavy-shaped strips from felt; hot-glue to inside of hat near ears.
- Cut eyelashes and eye pupils from contrasting colors of felt; hot-glue to large pom-pom eyes and attach to hat.
- Enlarge eye openings of mask to improve child's range of vision. Cut felt to cover mask, then glue felt to mask.
- Glue sequins randomly for sparkle.
Originally published in the October 2014 issue of Parents magazine.