Mittens and a hooded sweatshirt will keep your kiddie warm while you're trick-or-treating!
What You'll Need
- 8' to 9' white marabou-feather trim ($4 per yd.; joann.com)
- 6' white ostrich-feather trim ($15 for 1 yd.; moodfabrics.com)
- White sweatpants
- White hooded sweatshirt
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- 12" square light-blue felt
- 12" square orange felt
- 12" square yellow felt
- Template, printer
- 1/2 yd. white felt
- 3/4" elastic (cut into two 4"-long pieces)
- White mittens
- Cut lengths of marabou- and ostrich-feather trims, wide enough to cover the front of pants, front and arms of sweatshirt, and around front edge of hood. Hot-glue in rows, alternating trim styles.
- Find templates for eyes and ears at parents.com/snow-monster. Cut out and hot-glue felt eyes and ears to hood. Use a bit of marabou in center of each ear.
- Cut and hot-glue a strip of zigzag-cut white felt "teeth" to underside of hood brim.
- To make feet, cut two ovals (large enough to cover your child's shoes) from white felt. Cut zigzag shapes from light-blue felt to make claws; hot-glue to front of foot. Attach ends of 4"-long elastic to side of felt round to keep cover in place on shoe; repeat to make other elastic and round.
- For hands, glue light-blue felt claws to white mittens.
- Download the Snow Monster template here.
- Buy ostrich-feather trim here.
- Buy marabou feather trim here.
Originally published in the October 2014 issue of Parents magazine.