Princess and the Pea Costume
A large cardboard box forms the headboard and footboard of this royal bed. Rolled paper makes the mattresses.
What You'll Need
- Crown template
- Scissors; 42-oz. oatmeal container
- Hole punch
- Foil cupcake liners
- Large cardboard box
- Utility knife
- Acrylic paint
- Chenille stems or zip ties
- Large paper sheets in various colors and patterns
- Duct tape
- Round paper doilies
- Crepe-paper streamers
- Green tissue paper
- Round stickers
- Download, print, and cut out crown template. Trace crown shape onto oatmeal container; cut out.
- Punch holes where indicated on template, and thread elastic through.
- Decorate crown with foil cupcake liners.
- Bed frame: Start with a cardboard box that is slightly larger than child's wheelchair. Sketch out headboard and footboard shapes on box, including each corner of box (use our design for reference). Carefully cut out your shapes with a utility knife. Paint in a color of your choice; let dry.
- Hold headboard up to back of wheelchair. Either make holes for the push handles or make sure the frame is low enough for you to reach over the cardboard and push. Next, find the places where cardboard comes closest to wheelchair (bed frame should be about 6" off ground and should not touch wheels). Pierce these places on cardboard with a sharp pair of scissors to create holes, through which you will thread chenille stems (or zip ties) to secure box to wheelchair. Repeat with footboard.
- Mattresses: Roll several sheets of paper into tubes; tape each to secure (they must be a bit longer than wheelchair so they have room to attach to bed frame). Tape rolls together. Then tape them to inside of frame with duct tape.
- Dust ruffle: Fold paper doilies in half and tape around bottom of frame, overlapping them slightly.
- Use glue to decorate bed frame with paper streamers and cupcake liners.
- Crumple sheet of green tissue paper into a 5" ball; wrap with a second sheet of tissue paper, securing with tape.
- Use round stickers for eyes and a cut-out paper crescent for a smile.
- Attach pea to mattresses with tape.
Originally published in the October 2015 issue of Parents magazine.