Make a Knight Costume
What You'll Need
- Paper grocery bag
- Silver and purple paint
- Black and white garbage bags
- Wrapping-paper roll
- Margarine-tub lid
- Gallon plastic jug
1. Cut a slit up the middle of the bag's printed side and a 7" neck hole in bottom of the bag.
2. Cut a 4-1/2" hole on either side for arms, about 1" from the bottom of bag. Divide the nonprinted side of the bag into four equal rectangles, and paint top left and bottom right quadrants in silver and remaining quadrants in purple; let dry.
3. Paint the rest of the bag in silver. (This may take several coats.)
1. Cut a diamond shape, about 20"x15", from a large piece of cardboard and paint it silver; let dry.
2. Download and print a fleur-de-lis; cut out and glueto front of shield.
3. Cut a 5"x2" piece of cardboard, bend about an inch in from each end, and glue flat parts of the strip to the center of the back of the shield for a handle.
1. Cut two 3"-wide strips from a black garbage bag and one 3"-wide strip from a white one.
2. Braid the three together and knot at end.
3. Tie ends together and drape over your child's shoulder or make two small loops to attach at the hip.
1. Paint the margarine lid and wrapping-paper roll silver; let dry.
2. Trace the outline of the end of the tube onto the center of the lid, cut out and push tube through the hole.
1. Cut the top off a clean gallon jug.
2. Cut along the indented portion of the handle side of the jug, removing the handle entirely.
3. Paint the jug silver; let dry.
4. Fold two 4"x10" pieces of newspaper in half lengthwise and glue a chenille stem along the fold, leaving one inch of the stem sticking out.
5. Cut 1/4" fringe down the newspaper strips. Poke a small hole in the center of the bottom of the jug and push the stem through it, then twist to secure.
Originally published in the October 2009 issue of Parents magazine.