Fuzzy Fiends Costume
A solid-color base layer starts these cuddly monsters, and a fur belly, leg- and arm-warmers, and paw covers make it complete.
What You'll Need
- 1 yd. faux fur
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- Child-size elastic-waistband shorts
- 3/4" elastic, child-size gloves
- Eye mask
- Construction paper
- Quilt batting
- Knitted winter hat
- Vest: Cut two rectangular panels of faux fur large enough to cover the front and back of your child's torso (approximately 17"x 14"). Hot-glue panels at top shoulder seam, leaving an opening for neck and head.
- Shorts: Cut four rectangles of faux fur to cover front and back of shorts; attach fur with hot-glue gun. Don't glue the elastic waist itself; it must be left unglued in order to stretch.
- Leg- and arm-warmers: Cut two rectangles of faux fur (approximately 9"x 10") to fit around calves and forearms. Hot-glue a 3" length of elastic at top and bottom of each piece to connect sides and create a tube.
- Paws: Cut fingers off gloves. Hot-glue semicircles of faux fur to gloves. Cut out felt triangles and glue on ends of finger sleeves as claws (optional).
- Mask: Enlarge eye openings of mask to improve child's field of vision. Cut felt to cover mask, and glue on. Finish with accent pieces of faux fur.
- Horned hats: Cut out two 4" semicircles (small horns) and two 12" semicircles (large horns) from construction paper. Fold semicircles into cones and tape to secure. Fill cones with quilt batting and hot-glue to hat. Cut out felt ear shapes and hot-glue them on either side of horns.
- Shoes: Make round cutouts of faux fur large enough to cover tops of your child's shoes. Cut two 5"-long strips of felt in a zigzag pattern to resemble claws and hot-glue to front of foot covering. Hot-glue a 4" to 5" length of elastic around the back to keep the covering in place.
Originally published in the October 2014 issue of Parents magazine.
Source: Parents Magazine