Colorful and Easy Crayon Costume
Black felt quickly turns brightly colored long johns into this iconic art supply.
What You'll Need
- Solid colored shirt and pants (long-john cotton pajamas, $19, basicbrilliance.com)
- Measuring tape
- Black adhesive-backed felt
- 3" and 1" black adhesive-backed felt letters
- Party hat (12 for $5, partycity.com)
1. Measure the shirt and pant cuffs of clothing. Cut two 4"-tall strips of black felt that are about an inch longer than the circumference of the pant cuff (this will allow for stretch).
2. Cut two 3"-tall strips of black felt an inch longer than the circumference of the wrist cuff.
3. On the back of each strip, draw a wavy line lengthwise (make sure the line begins and ends at the same height so it lines up when cuffed), the cut along line.
4. Peel off adhesive liner and position the larger strips around the ankles of pants, leaving a 1/2" gap between the strips. Repeat with the smaller strips around the wrist cuffs.
5. Stick the 3" letters down the front of the shirt to spell "crayon" and spell the desired crayon color down the back of one leg using the 1" letters.
Originally published in the October 2009 issue of Parents magazine.