Help your child create loveable sock bunnies this holiday.
What You'll Need
- 1 sock
- Child-safe scissors
- 6' length of embroidery thread or yarn
- Yarn needle
- 2 pipe cleaners
- 1 bag of cotton balls (or cotton or poly batting)
- Colored felt
- Hole punch
- Craft glue
- Permanent marker
- 12" ribbon strip (makes 1 bunny)
1. Lay a sock out flat with the entire heel facing up. Using child-safe scissors, help your child cut vertically down the middle of the sock from the toe to just above the start of the heel (the exact measurement depends on the size of the sock). Each half of the sock toe will become an ear.
2. Thread 2' of embroidery thread or yarn in a contrasting color through a large yarn needle, and tie the end in a knot. Carefully stitch the two seams of one half of the sock toe together using an overcast stitch (sew over the edge, making long, wide slanting stitches).
3. Ask your child to fold a pipe cleaner in half and twist the two strands together at the end. Then help your child insert the twisted pipe cleaner into the bunny's ear to give it shape and support. You'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 to make the other ear.
4. Next, ask your child to gently pull apart a large handful of cotton balls to create a fluffy stuffing material (you can also use cotton or poly batting). Help her stuff the heel of the sock with the cotton to form the bunny's head.
5. Continue stuffing the remainder of the sock for the body, and push some extra cotton into the bottom to create a wide base. This will enable the bunny to sit upright. Then tuck in the bottom of the sock cuff to keep the stuffing contained. You may also stitch the bottom hole shut if desired.
6. Help your child cut small circles out of colored felt for the bunny's eyes, or use a hole punch. Glue them onto the front of the sock heel (now the bunny's face). Then cut out and glue on a felt-triangle nose, and draw whiskers and a mouth with a marker. Or you can stitch the nose, mouth, and whiskers with the yarn needle and embroidery thread.
7. Have your child glue a cotton ball to the back end of the bunny for the tail and tie a colorful ribbon around its neck. Then he can have fun with his new cuddly friend!